Long-term evaluation of osseointegrated implants placed in sites augmented with sinus floor elevation associated with vertical ridge augmentation: a retrospective study of 38 consecutive implants with 1- to 7-year follow-up.

Simion M, Fontana F, Rasperini G, Maiorana C.

Int J Periodontics Restorative Dent. 2004 Jun;24(3):208-21.


This clinical study retrospectively evaluated, after 1 to 7 years of prosthetic loading, 38 implants consecutively placed in 16 surgical sites, where severe atrophy of the posterior maxilla was treated by combining sinus elevation with the vertical ridge regenerative procedure. Two different surgical techniques were adopted. In seven patients (16 implants), implants were placed at the same stage as the regenerative procedures. In the other seven patients (22 implants), implant placement was performed at second-stage surgery, after 6 to 13 months of submerged membrane healing. Each implant was classified as a success, survival, or failure. The distance between the top of the implant shoulder and the first visible bone-implant contact was assessed radiographically for every implant at the mesial and distal sides. Two membranes became exposed during the healing process (12.5%). In the remaining 14 sites (87.5%), the membrane remained covered for a 6- to 13-month healing period. The survival rate of the implants was 92.1%, whereas the success rate was 76.3%. Three implants (7.9%) failed. A comparison of the implant shoulder-bone-implant contact distances between abutment connection and the last examination showed a mean crestal loss of 1.65 mm at the mesial side and 1.68 mm at the distal side. The bone regenerated vertically by means of sinus floor elevation and vertical ridge augmentation showed the same biologic behavior as native, nonregenerated bone; however, in a few cases, its remodeling pattern seemed to determine slightly higher bone crest resorption.